Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How to take care of an ingrown fingernail?

Hi,


I am a 12 year old girl and I think I might have an ingrown fingernail. I have had ingrown toenails before and they've been easy to take care of. My finger nail is super sore to the touch and in fact, it really hurts as I'm typing now! How can I help it?How to take care of an ingrown fingernail?
It's rather unusual to get an ingrown fingernail. If you tend to cut the nails too short, you can end up with one- but most often what you have is an infection of the nailbed or cuticle. Try soaking the finger in warm water, or applying moist heat to the spot. If you have an infection, that may help it form a spot and drain itself. For the pain, about all you can take is Tylenol. You also want to keep your fingers out of your mouth and resist the urge to nibble the nails- if you have that habit. It would also be a good idea to speak with a parent and get their help. If it doesn't improve, you will need to see a doctor about it before it gets worse.How to take care of an ingrown fingernail?
Can you easily lift it out from the skin? If you can, try cutting the nail. If not, go see the doctor. I kept getting ingrown toenails so the doctor surgically cut out the piece of toenail that was ingrown and put some sort of chemical on it to prevent that part of the nail from ever growing again. It worked really well but at the same time, my toenail is smaller than its supposed to be. You can also prevent it by putting a piece of cotton under the nail where it tends to get ingrown. Try that if it's in a spot where it's possible to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment