Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Fingernail care for a reformed nail-biter?

After 25 years of biting my fingernails, I finally gave up the habit several weeks ago. Last night, I nearly blinded myself while removing my contact lenses. Today, I bought emery boards and fingernail clippers and went to town. So now that I've already butchered them, I have some questions:





1) My mother once told me that you should always cut your nails straight across to avoid ingrown nails. My nails are now all square and mannish. Is there a safe way to round them without causing problems?





2) Even though I was really careful while clipping, most of them ';flaked'; to some degree (small chips where the top layer of the nail flaked away). How can I avoid this?





3) I used an emery board to try and smooth rough edges, but it seemed to make them even rougher! I'm obviously doing something wrong. How do I properly file my nails?





4) Any other tips? I'm a low maintenance gal with no interest in nail polish, but I'm willing to perform quick tasks to keep my nails looking nice and healthy.Fingernail care for a reformed nail-biter?
I can't help you with how to file, as I'm not sure myself, but I can tell you that putting about one coat on a week of clear polish will keep them looking clean and fresh. I bit my nails all my life and recently quit too. I am just trying to keep them polished because I know if they look nice theres more of a chance that I won't pick at them. Also, keep lotion on your hands to keep your cuticles from getting dry. You will want to pick at them if they do. And even if you are really low maintenance a manicure every once in a while doesn't hurt and they could definitely tell you how to file them correctly. Good luck!Fingernail care for a reformed nail-biter?
Go to a salon and hav them fixed watch how the manicurist does it and from there on do it yourself or just keep going to the salon...
  • kawasaki
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment